Lincolnshire Young Voices: Get Involved
Do you want to make a positive change for young disabled people in Lincolnshire? Do you want to meet like-minded people and be a part of something special? Do you passionately believe that people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) deserve to have their voices heard? If you’ve answered ‘yes’ to all the above, then Lincolnshire Young Voices wants to hear from you.
But what is Lincolnshire Young Voices? Well, in 2015, a report emerged which stated that people with disabilities and additional needs should work with local authorities to improve services. It was identified that Lincolnshire didn’t have any way of making this happen and yet it was something which was desperately needed. And so, after a couple of years in the pipeline, in March 2017, Lincolnshire Young Voices, in conjunction with Lincolnshire County Council and the NHS, was born.
I know; so far it all sounds like a lot of words and not much action, but I assure you it isn’t. Through our first-hand, collective experience of a wide spectrum of disabilities and a great deal of research we know the difficulties people with SEND face. We want to raise awareness of these issues and collaborate with professionals to remove the obstacles for others. Whilst we realise that Rome wasn’t built in a day, we’ll begin by inspiring change within the areas that need more urgent attention. Once we’ve ticked those off our list, we’ll move on – continuing to promote what we do and expand our network. We won’t stop until we’ve made Lincolnshire the best it can possibly be for people with SEND. This is our agenda for 2019/2020:
- To improve the accessibility of Lincolnshire's public toilets for people with SEND.
- To improve the accessibility of Lincolnshire's public transport for people with SEND.
- To help organisations across Lincolnshire better understand how accessible and SEND friendly they are and what improvements can be made to make them even better
- To help make Lincolnshire's Local Offer the best it can be to support families, children and young people with SEND with up to date, helpful information
- That the people of Lincolnshire understand what we do and want to become involved to support and help raise funds.
As daunting as this appears, it is without a doubt achievable, especially considering we’ll soon have the support of our newly appointed chairpersons. That said, we would love you to join our mission to evolve Lincolnshire’s services in order to make them accessible and inclusive for all. To find out how you can be involved, please email; BS_SEND@lincolnshire.gov.uk or visit; www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/youngvoices. And while you’re there, be sure to check out our Facebook page, so you can keep up to date with our progress.August 4, 2019 7:00 pm